Tire recommendations for 22" w/ CCD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SublimeHiPpOs

Reaction score
I have about 53k miles on our 2018 Platinum OE Hankook tires and will be looking to replace them soon-ish. I haven't been impressed with their performance, particularly in wet or slick conditions. In the past I've been pleased with Michelins (on other vehicles), so I'm primarily leaning towards the Defender LTX M/S (or Defender LTX M/S2), or possibly the Primacy. I'm curious if any has experience with any of these on an Expedition or has any other recommendations?

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The primacy is not great in my experience. Most seem happy with Defender tires. I put on some nitto crosstek 2 and they are fine but I wish I would have moved to a 18" or 20" wheel and done something different in the tire department. I just am not a fan of 22's for my vehicle usage.

Flying N

Reaction score
I just put on Yokohama Geoland A/T G015 tires in 285/50/r22. I was initially looking at going to a 20" rim with 285/60, but found such a great deal on the Yoko's in 22" that I decided to stay with them. Note, the G015 tires run big for their size (33.7" diameter whereas most 285/50/22 show 33.3" diameter), and just barely fit with no rubbing. You might could get a 34" tire to fit with no rubbing (i.e. 275/65/20), but might need +30 offset (or less) wheels, or 1/2" wheel spacer to fit. 285/60/20 should fit. Others here using these sizes can confirm how well they fit.

Regarding the my tires, so far I like them, but with <100 miles on them I am not giving any recommendation yet. They are a little (not much) noisier than the Goodyear Tour tires, but they are A/T tires vs all season hwy tires, and are quite quiet for such a tire. Also E rated with 3 ply sidewall, so it feels a little more like driving a truck; which I am prefectly fine with.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just replaced my oem Grabbers with Pirelli Scorpion Weatheractive tires at 8000 miles on my '23 limited with ccd. I researched on Tire Rack and the Scorpions were top rated hands down. The General Grabbers were a great tire and performed well, but I wanted the best for snow and all-around conditions. The Defenders are great, but the Pirellis are rated much higher for adverse weather conditions. Check them out.

tex599

Reaction score
I had the factory Hankook’s on my 2020 w/22” and CCD until they wore down at 70K miles and wouldn’t hesitate to purchase a new set. But switched to the Michelin Defenders, as I got a great deal from the Ford dealer. They are quieter, better wet weather traction and seem to wear well, close to 25K miles on them now.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have about 53k miles on our 2018 Platinum OE Hankook tires and will be looking to replace them soon-ish. I haven't been impressed with their performance, particularly in wet or slick conditions. In the past I've been pleased with Michelins (on other vehicles), so I'm primarily leaning towards the Defender LTX M/S (or Defender LTX M/S2), or possibly the Primacy. I'm curious if any has experience with any of these on an Expedition or has any other recommendations?
My experience says go for the Michelin Defender LTX M/S2. I had the Hankook tires on my Expy and did several long trips but mostly city driving. I kept reading negative about the Hankook's but didn't totally agree they were a bad tire. However, I had some concerns in heavy rain after some road slippage from the tires. I started really paying attention to the ride before changing to the Michelin Defender LTX M/S2. Nothing stood out but I was feeling the ride. WELL, BIG difference after the tire change. I couldn't believe the difference in the ride; smoother, less noise, better road feel. Even speed bumps created less of a bump/bounce feel and sound. It was a very noticeable difference! So, my vote goes to the Michelin tires.

OP
OP
S

SublimeHiPpOs

Reaction score
I ended up going with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 tires earlier this year. A couple months ago we did a big road trip to Banff National Park in Canada as well as Glacier NP. We put in well over 3000 miles and encountered a little snow and plenty of rain. We also did some mild offroading one day on a well rutted wet trail. I was very pleased with how these tires handled the conditions we encountered and can recommend these tires as a solid option for anyone looking for all-season tires. On the highway (and dry roads) they were maybe slightly smoother than the OE tires, but not much difference (could be in my head). The biggest difference is how they handle snow and wet/slick surfaces.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
The Defenders seem to be favored from what I've read here, and when the time comes to replace my aging OEM Wrangler SR-A's (before winter sets in), I will be considering them for sure, along with the Pirelli's... just depends on which one will offer the best price & rebates at that time....

As for da Kooks, all I can say is that everyone I know that has had them, on ANY vehicle, were not happy with them, and some have had serious quality issues like low-mileage sidewall failures and tread separations, so for me, they are persona non-grata :)