Tire Wheel Size Changes Questions - 2022 Expedition Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Had a 2015 Suburban that was totaled a month after putting brand new Nitto Ridge Grapplers on it (P285/45R22). Insurance company allowed me to salvage tires. Purchased 2022 Expedition with decent tires (P275/55R20) with about 20k left on them. I was going to go ahead and replace the wheels with something to fit the nittos but I really don't know much about wheels/offsets/etc. Looks like I'm pretty limited on wheels that take that tire within stock offset. I'm trying to decide if I should go with a F/R lift kit (seems readylift 3/2 is popular here) to add more options to the wheel pool that would take the tires, or if I should just sell the tires and just by new stock sized 20's and forego wheels. TIA for any help.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@The Sandlapper My current wheels are a -12mm offset. They have about 1.5" of poke compared to the factory wheels that are a 44mm offset. I just got a new set of wheels today at 44MM offset & will be getting new tires mounted this upcoming Tuesday. I am looking at 1/2" to 1" spacers to add a little poke no more than 18MM offset. All the forums on here I've read over the years point to 18MM offset being the sweet spot. The lower the offset # the more the tires stick out, negative offset i.e. -12MM even more. This allows you to clear bigger tire/wheel packages on the 4th GEN EXPYs. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
@The Sandlapper My current wheels are a -12mm offset. They have about 1.5" of poke compared to the factory wheels that are a 44mm offset. I just got a new set of wheels today at 44MM offset & will be getting new tires mounted this upcoming Tuesday. I am looking at 1/2" to 1" spacers to add a little poke no more than 18MM offset. All the forums on here I've read over the years point to 18MM offset being the sweet spot. The lower the offset # the more the tires stick out, negative offset i.e. -12MM even more. This allows you to clear bigger tire/wheel packages on the 4th GEN EXPYs. Hope this helps.
Appreciate the insight. If I "have" to buy new wheels, I'd prob prefer non-oem but not opposed. Maybe I can find some OEM designs that I like in 22". Where did you find yours?

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got my new tires and wheels on today. 275/60R20 black painted OEM Expedition wheels, Michelin Defenders LTX M/S2

Attachments

• IMG_7942.jpeg
    IMG_7942.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7943.jpeg
    IMG_7943.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had a 2015 Suburban that was totaled a month after putting brand new Nitto Ridge Grapplers on it (P285/45R22). Insurance company allowed me to salvage tires. Purchased 2022 Expedition with decent tires (P275/55R20) with about 20k left on them. I was going to go ahead and replace the wheels with something to fit the nittos but I really don't know much about wheels/offsets/etc. Looks like I'm pretty limited on wheels that take that tire within stock offset. I'm trying to decide if I should go with a F/R lift kit (seems readylift 3/2 is popular here) to add more options to the wheel pool that would take the tires, or if I should just sell the tires and just by new stock sized 20's and forego wheels. TIA for any help.
You could check local junk yards. My friend's Platinum came with different rims he did not like. He went to local junkyards, found and outfitted his Platinum with a very clean set of 22" Platinum polished rims.

Flathead40

Reaction score
Got my new tires and wheels on today. 275/60R20 black painted OEM Expedition wheels, Michelin Defenders LTX M/S2
How has the ride been with the 20s? We are planning on changing wheel size from 22” and debating between 18” and 20” and running the defenders for tires. Those look great btw!