Updating my Sync 3.0 in my new to me truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I have a new to me 2017 Expy Limited that looks like it never had Sync 3 updated. Looks like I have version 1.1.1.1139, build 19205 and Maps is NA 1 18.

I'm not having much luck getting any updated package. I've tried connecting the truck via WiFi and telling the system to look for updates. It just spins a wheel endlessly that after 15 min I leave. I then have tried to down load the package off of Ford's website and I keep getting an error " It appears there is an issue with the latest SYNC update file. Our team will review the issue shortly and provide you with the correct update". Um, yeah right. Waited 20 min to chat with a Ford rep on the site only to be told "try again later". WTH?

So now I'm hearing about this Cyanlabs option. Not sure what to think about it. Is it safe? Will it prevent future updates?

And what do I gain by going through this trouble. So far with the Truck I've seen no issues with the Sync 3. Do I gain features I really need? What about the maps? Same store?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cluster333

Reaction score
I have a 2017 as well and did the Cyanlabs upgrade. It went well just need to use a good brand USB drive. As for updates I didn't look into it. I used my kids gaming PC to load the program to the USB. My laptop would not work.

OP
OP
F

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why do we need to go the Cyanlabs route? Does the Ford updates just not work?

skblooms

Reaction score
I finally did the CyanLabs (Sync 3 to Sync 3.4) update on my 2017 Expy Platinum and my dad's 2019 Explorer Limited this weekend after a year of being skeptical and reading more about it...and procrastinating (kids, work, life, etc). It was easy and I used the videos below as a guide. The color scheme is updated and the system is much more responsive. The Nav system now has 2023 maps (updated from 2015), and the Sirius interface is much better, in my opinion. I set the color scheme to always on night mode because it goes better with the colors on the other display screens by the speedo - but that's just a personal preference. It took approx. 25 minutes to copy the files to a USB thumb drive and approx. 30 minutes to update the Sync system. I'm happy with the update and recommend it.

From what I've read, Ford no longer supports wifi updates and they either refuse to update or charge $$$ for manual updates at a dealership.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Cyanlabs updated my 2017 Sync3 maybe a half dozen times with zero effort and only a little patience while the process runs. Maps remain horribly out of date, at least here. The Garmin had in my 2007 is now in the 2017 but Ford and Garmin sometimes argue. Garmin maps get updates a couple times a year and some roundabouts shown on the Garmin still 4-way stops on the Ford.

-- Chuck