1999 Expedition 5.4 Oil Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Willie B

Reaction score
…5.4…4x4…Got an oil leak…Passenger side of motor… car is parked on the street and tilted a little to the right… In other words, it is not on flat ground… So there is a possibility that the leak is not from the right side of the motor… I am wondering if it possibly could be the drain plug and the oil running off to the passenger side of the vehicle???…

outdoorman

Reaction score
Oil leaks are such a pain! I had a similar issue with my old Ford. It could be a number of things - valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, or even the front cover. Don't rule out the drain plug though, it's worth double-checking.

Dadunn536

Reaction score
I have ‘99 with 5.4 that also has a small/intermittent oil leak on the right side. I read several years ago that this vintage 5.4 has a problem with oil leaking at the head gasket, right side, near the rear of the block. I’ve inspected closely and it appears that is my problem. It’s so minor though, I decided against repair. It would cost more that the truck is worth to fix.

OP
OP
W

Willie B

Reaction score
I have ‘99 with 5.4 that also has a small/intermittent oil leak on the right side. I read several years ago that this vintage 5.4 has a problem with oil leaking at the head gasket, right side, near the rear of the block. I’ve inspected closely and it appears that is my problem. It’s so minor though, I decided against repair. It would cost more that the truck is worth to fix.
… I am old and used up… Don’t feel like getting out my piece of cardboard and going under the vehicle to look for the leak… This vehicle has always used oil… in the 80,000 miles I have driven it… I suppose it is possible that it has just been this small leak… Next time I take it to the repair guy, I will have them go under and look… As I don’t do my own work anymore‍♀️