5.4 roller follower failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdstutz

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
This is a first time post but I wanted to share my current 5.4 experience.
I bought a 2014 Expedition EL this spring that, despite having 160k miles, was remarkably quiet in the top end. Last week, 2000 miles from home and across the Rocky Mountains, it developed a loud valve train tick which started out as a half speed chirp and a squeal under moderate acceleration. We were pulling a small travel trailer and headed down the west coast to California. I stopped at a dealership, and after seeing the service tech’s face, I called off the remainder of the trip and headed home. I was careful to not rev the engine above 2500 rpm’s for almost the entire trip back to central Minnesota.
Yesterday I checked the oil pressure and found the it 75psi cold. 24psi at 210 degrees Fahrenheit.
Tonight I opened the right valve cover where the noise was loudest and found a bad lash adjuster and roller follower which had wrecked my cam.
I peeked in between the FoMoCo phaser and the front cover and found a steel timing chain tensioner. There were neat pen marks on all torqued bolts and the visible chain and tensioner slides looked to be in good condition.
My plan is to pull the cam and check for galling on the journals but I don’t believe it suffered from lack of lubrication.
I’m still on the fence about changing the phasers, chains, and tensioners since they appear to have been done recently
What would you all do if it was yours?

This is my 4th 5.4 with a 5.7 hemi in between that makes me thankful that I own a 5.4 again.

Attachments

• IMG_2345.jpeg
    IMG_2345.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2346.jpeg
    IMG_2346.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2248.jpeg
    IMG_2248.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 25

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the other items were done recently I’d replace all the roller followers and move on. Your oil pressure reading is OK at hot idle. Not superb but not indicative of an issue either. Are you running 5W-20 or 30? 5W-30 is fine for the 5.4. No chain slap noise or rattle on start up right? The tensioners are the killers of these motors. Other than that they would be sound.

OP
OP
J

jdstutz

Reaction score
Just the tapping noise. I am running Mobil 1 5w-20 and it was pretty hot last week when this all started.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The YouTube guy fordtechmakuloco has a video or two about this issue. I’m holding my breath with my 2014 LTD with 79K on it…mostly my tow vehicle. As I recall he seemed to think that when the followers go bad you’re talking engine replacement. Hope I’m wrong about that. I run 5W-30 and change every 5000k.

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd agree pretty much with previous comments. Replace the timing set, new followers and lash adjusters. High volume pump while you have it opened up.

OP
OP
J

jdstutz

Reaction score
It wasn’t meant to be. I discovered cam bearing when I removed the cam (should have noticed them sooner). The bearing by the phaser was wiped out and there was a ball of wire brush bristles in the oil port on the cam. I couldn’t identify the bearings by their markings so I ordered a standard Durabond set “FA-13R”. They do not fit correctly. The old cam was cut down .010” and the cam towers are equally undersized for this bearing. So I guess it’s off to Ford for a factory reman. I’m completely fed up with the cheap remanufacturers who are rebuilding these engines with odd size cam bearings. If anyone is thinking of trying the Dura-bond bearings. Check the catalogue for the bearing sizes. I couldn’t find specs for these bearings until after it was too late.

OP
OP
J

jdstutz

Reaction score
The YouTube guy fordtechmakuloco has a video or two about this issue. I’m holding my breath with my 2014 LTD with 79K on it…mostly my tow vehicle. As I recall he seemed to think that when the followers go bad you’re talking engine replacement. Hope I’m wrong about that. I run 5W-30 and change every 5000k.
I can tell you exactly when the roller seized. I was backing into my campsite and at an idle there was a distinct “chirp” coming from the engine. Also at that time it would intermittently squeal when accelerating.

GaryB

Reaction score
It wasn't that long ago I did the full timing job on mine. If I was you, I would switch to 5w-30 and replace all the roller followers. If you're not hearing any startup rattle, I don't see the point of the timing job yet. It's less than half the job to just open the valve covers and replace the roller followers. Check all the lash adjusters while you're there. Oil pressure will go up because of the new design. Consider replacing the VCT's while you're there. Use FoMoCo parts.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like I said above, I'm OK for now at about 79K. I'm certain I'm just buying time and should be preemptive and change out all the followers...24? I'm gonna have to have a shop do it. Any ball park cost? Labor, parts?