2020 Expo with max towing - heavy highway and pull 6,000 lb rv - thoughts on tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jskane125

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

As the title says - I have a 2020 Expedition with the 18" wheels and original hancook tires. 40,000 miles - not in terrible shape, but I want to replace before a long rv trip. I have a 6,000lb rv. No issues pulling and no tire issues. I can replace the Hancock tires for $245 per, including install and balance. My long time garage also revered a GT Radial from General, they've put a lot of those on recently .. at $184/tire

I don't go off road at all, and rarely on gravel for long periods. but I do put on about 2,000 miles per year pulling the rv. Plus I drive across PA from Philly area to Pittsburgh many times a year .. So I don't want some loud tire that drives like a F350.

Thoughts on tires? Can't complain too much about Hancock, 4 years old and no issues, but it's time for new tires.

Thanks, in advance

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you were happy with the OEM Hankook tires, I would stick with them - instead of getting a different tire that you may not be happy with.

I did not like the OEM Hankook AT tires that came standard on my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 - purchased new. I’m on my 3rd set of tires. I bought Michelin A/S then Continental A/S. I have been very happy with the Continental tires.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I honestly feel as though tires are one of those things where you really get what you pay for. When you look at the incremental cost of more expensive tires vs the longevity, not to mention safety, a strong case can be made for paying more. An extra $120 per tire for tires you're going to run for 3 or 4 years...to me it's worth it. Almost every time I've purchased cheap tires, I've regretted it. They either had balance issues, didn't last as long, or had poorer performance.

Having said all that, the Michelin Defenders are consistently mentioned as one of the best tires in XL and "E" load. I've also heard good thing about the Continental TerrainContact.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
Almost every time I've purchased cheap tires, I've regretted it.
That's cause "Cheap is as cheap does" hahahaha :)

I'm all for saving some $$ when possible, but some things, like tires, are worth a little more up front to have them last longer, ride better, and provide a safer, more reliable experience for me & my family...

I've used a bunch of different brands on a bunch of different vehicles over the past 50 years, and I can say without a doubt that Michelin, Goodyear, and Pirelli (sedans/sports cars only) have been the ones I have had the best luck with...

My current set of Wrangler SR-A's (only ~$25 more than the slacker brands 3yrs ago) on my 011 Expy have over 50K miles on them and still look very nice, with lots of tread remaining, however, part of that I believe comes from regular rotations/balancing, wheel alignments and other good vehicle maintenance overall, which I am somewhat OCD about :D

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of using LT tires for a truck/SUV that carries heavy loads and/or tows a heavy trailer. yes, the ride is harsher but the thick sidewalls give you a lot better safety margins. run the rear tire pressure 5-10 PSI higher than the car recommends too, when you're towing or heavily loaded, but of course, never exceed the tire's max pressure rating,. Won't be a problem with LT tires, the load range E tires usually have around 80 PSI max pressure... My F250 diesel used "E" tires at 75 PSI rear, 65 or something in front.

oh, to that list of good truck tires, I would add BF Goodrich for All Terrain tires. Their KO2/KO3 series are without a match. My first choice of truck tires are BFG KO2/KO3 and for sedans, Michelin's Primacy/Premiere or whatever they are calling their 'grand touring' tires now. Michelin Pilot AS on a higher performance sedan, they don't last as long but damn they are nice while they do.

bobward757

Reaction score
If you search the 4th gen forum for tires, you’ll see half a dozen threads.

My personal preference are the Pirelli AS Scorpion 3s. Quiet, highest wet rating out there. Got 60K out of my first set.

Woodwolf

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of using LT tires for a truck/SUV that carries heavy loads and/or tows a heavy trailer. yes, the ride is harsher but the thick sidewalls give you a lot better safety margins. run the rear tire pressure 5-10 PSI higher than the car recommends too, when you're towing or heavily loaded, but of course, never exceed the tire's max pressure rating,. Won't be a problem with LT tires, the load range E tires usually have around 80 PSI max pressure... My F250 diesel used "E" tires at 75 PSI rear, 65 or something in front.

oh, to that list of good truck tires, I would add BF Goodrich for All Terrain tires. Their KO2/KO3 series are without a match. My first choice of truck tires are BFG KO2/KO3 and for sedans, Michelin's Primacy/Premiere or whatever they are calling their 'grand touring' tires now. Michelin Pilot AS on a higher performance sedan, they don't last as long but damn they are nice while they do.
This is my experience too. Except I swear by Toyo LT’s