Finally finished my headlight projector retrofit (LOTS of PICS)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only other thing I noticed going through your pictures is that the driver headlight on the wall seems to drop off much sharper and dramatically than the passenger side one. Is this a trick the camera is playing or is it an actual issue?

jglopic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am hoping to accomplish this retrofit over the next month or so as long as side work keeps flowing in and I don't get bent over on taxes.

Also, just spit balling here... does anyone see this being a viable option for the fog lights?
SuperBrightLEDs

Also, while we are on the subject of fog lights, has anyone found an effective way of keeping the fogs on with the highs? I was thinking about diode isolating a relay based circuit triggered with the high beam power lead.

I like those LED housings you found. I imagine that at 10W they would close to halogen brightness. It would be interesting to try and fit them into the existing Expy fog light openings/housing.

OP
OP
jasonlmarsh

jasonlmarsh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea it seems to drop off on the driver side. I'm not sure if this is an alignment issue, or just a cheap projector. If I level up the cutoff on the left side, it drops further on the right. So I just centered it as best a I could.

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea it seems to drop off on the driver side. I'm not sure if this is an alignment issue, or just a cheap projector. If I level up the cutoff on the left side, it drops further on the right. So I just centered it as best a I could.

As with you and seemingly everyone else in this thread, I'm somewhat a perfectionist and I'm really **** about things looking right. Is it noticeable when you're not driving up to a flat surface? I've been considering getting the whole kit from TFS rather than the cheap eBay Morimoto knock-offs hoping to avoid these kinds of issues.

I was originally planning on sending them to Brian @ SickHIDs but I just can't be without a set of lights for 6-8 weeks while my A4 is put up for the winter.

EDIT - A GOOD READ OVER AT TFS - Clicky and go about halfway down - explains the drop on the driver side

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not talking about ebay crap... Im talking about rigid industries kit for the raptor. All runner trucks are running led's now. You cannot get any brighter then it.
Rigid Raptor Lighting Systems - FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor

oh SNAP!!! you back with us or just paying a visit? my cutoff is crap...and no matter how i try to fix it...my light isnt out far enough on the road like i want...put 85w ballast and equivilent bulbs in there...

OP
OP
jasonlmarsh

jasonlmarsh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As with you and seemingly everyone else in this thread, I'm somewhat a perfectionist and I'm really **** about things looking right. Is it noticeable when you're not driving up to a flat surface? I've been considering getting the whole kit from TFS rather than the cheap eBay Morimoto knock-offs hoping to avoid these kinds of issues.

I was originally planning on sending them to Brian @ SickHIDs but I just can't be without a set of lights for 6-8 weeks while my A4 is put up for the winter.

EDIT - A GOOD READ OVER AT TFS - Clicky and go about halfway down - explains the drop on the driver side
To be honest, it bothered me about 2 days and I don't even notice it anymore. When the weather improves I am thinking about taking them back apart and painting the chrome reflectors. If I do that I"ll probably align the projectors so that the outermost portions of the cutoff are level, since you really cant see the middle/inner part of the cutoff, it wont matter if that part drops off.

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I agree the mini's would not fit in the fogs, they are about 5.25" length and the fogs are only about 2" deep. So I'm going to have to find somethig that can be exposed to the elements on the back side. I'm trying to decide between Ford Fusion, Hella DE, or Blazer's.

I am in touch with TRS about a similar project that I'm working on for my daily driver, an Accord Coupe. The Morimoto Matchbox may be what you're looking for. I think the whole kit will be around 270, and just the projectors around $120. They are going to be selling them again towards the end of the month. It may be what you need for your fog housing?

Measurements:

Length - 4.4"
Width - 3"
Height - 2.1 to 2.2"
Lens size - 1.8"
Here is a thread TRS pointed me towards for dimensions. These may fit into your fog housing.

Morimoto Matchbox projectors (pics and measurements inside)

Mini H1 vs Matchbox:
dsc0006zi.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jasonlmarsh

jasonlmarsh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am in touch with TRS about a similar project that I'm working on for my daily driver, an Accord Coupe. The Morimoto Matchbox may be what you're looking for. I think the whole kit will be around 270, and just the projectors around $120. They are going to be selling them again towards the end of the month. It may be what you need for your fog housing?

Measurements:

Length - 4.4"
Width - 3"
Height - 2.1 to 2.2"
Lens size - 1.8"
Here is a thread TRS pointed me towards for dimensions. These may fit into your fog housing.

Morimoto Matchbox projectors (pics and measurements inside)

Mini H1 vs Matchbox:
dsc0006zi.jpg
Those would definitely be smaller and probably easier to install, but from what all I read, they were a limited run and you can't get them anymore. Maybe not the case, but they weren't on the website when I was shopping. I've actually just received a set of 3" lens projectors today. I'm going to put those in the heads and move the mini's down to the fogs. I'm still trying to decide if I want to paint the reflector bowl black, and keep a chrome shroud.... Or paint the reflector bowl white to match the truck, and paint the shrouds black.

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As mentioned above, TRS told me yesterday they will be coming back for a limited time at the end of this month, FWIW