Thoughts on this oil leak... Valve Cover Gasket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I was literally just getting ready to change out my spark plugs and coils, when I went to pull the engine cover off and found this mess. It only appears to be on the drivers side, the passenger side looks completely fine. Any thoughts? Is this likely a bad intake manifold gasket? It's pooling in the bolt hole just below the two gray hoses, above the filler neck so it's not like it's just leakage from pouring in fresh oil. The entire drivers side valve cover looks covered in the dirty goopy oil layer. If anything, i'm wondering if this is a left over issue from the phaser replacement I had a couple years ago.

Appreciate some thoughts, it is under warranty but now I'm thinking I shouldn't do the plugs and coils till after I have it looked at so they can't blame me for something.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• PXL_20240709_192732322.jpg
    PXL_20240709_192732322.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20240709_192739832.jpg
    PXL_20240709_192739832.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 31

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I was literally just getting ready to change out my spark plugs and coils, when I went to pull the engine cover off and found this mess. It only appears to be on the drivers side, the passenger side looks completely fine. Any thoughts? Is this likely a bad intake manifold gasket? It's pooling in the bolt hole just below the two gray hoses, above the filler neck so it's not like it's just leakage from pouring in fresh oil. The entire drivers side valve cover looks covered in the dirty goopy oil layer. If anything, i'm wondering if this is a left over issue from the phaser replacement I had a couple years ago.

Appreciate some thoughts, it is under warranty but now I'm thinking I shouldn't do the plugs and coils till after I have it looked at so they can't blame me for something.

Thanks in advance.
This is a cracked valve cover. The plastic cover has a design flaw that causes it to crack. Ford fixed it with a modified part couple of years ago. Mine has just started to leak.

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
oh fantastic. So oil gets out, debris gets in. is there a particular place where it often cracks that I can check? Fun part is I'm sure I'll still have to pay my warranty deductible. is it both covers or just the drivers side?

Also, does anyone have a service bulletin or something I can reference?

At least it shows Tasca parts has like 500 of these in stock so I won't be without a truck for months.

Last edited:
OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that's where the majority of the oil pooling is too, so yeah, that's likely it. Thank you for the help. Love it when forums really help folks. Wish there was an SSM or something I could refer to. I bet they argue with me.

Last edited:

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got oil burn smell because of valve cover gasket and the dealer replaced it under warranty 2 years ago. I had to bring it to an independent shop and they pointed it out because my useless Ford dealer couldn't duplicate the issue as always.

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Luckily with the amount of residue and the fact that the oil is literally pooling on top of the cover, and the passenger side is clean as a bell, I think it's hard to argue. The biggest issue is now since I'm in the ESP, I'm guessing they will make me pay my deductible even though it's apparently a very well known issue 2016 and above.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They usually over tighten them when they do the cam phaser repair and crack the covers.

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Were the cam phasers replaced within the last year or so ? tech prolly damaged it when tightening back up too tight etc.
unfortunately it's been more like 2.5 years since the phasers were done. the amount of oil covering the cover says it's been leaking a while. my issue is this could have easily started before 36k miles, i'm at 49k now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kedowens74