Transmission service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpf903

Reaction score
Looking at YouTube video it seems to change the transmission fluid and filter is a BIG job.
So questions:
1) When should this be done?
2) What would a dealer charge for this service?
3) One suggestion was to just change the fluid by pumping it out and replace, forget about the filter. Thoughts?

sixstring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do it every 150,000 miles per the manual. There is no mention to replace the filter, just the fluid.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Umh, I'm pretty sure the filter is pretty critical on these. it's there for a reason, to trap particles in the system. Given it's a closed system, the only thing should be in there is metallic particles from the tranny itself. If my recollection serves me, it's actually a two stage filter if you will with membranes that blocks different sizes of particles. Yes, it's a mess and generally I like doing services like this myself, given the process of lifting the tranny to enable the dropping of the tranny pan, I elected to have the dealer do it. I think they said it's about $300. A little less since I already bought the fluids and took those in.

My take on this, there are already enough issues with this tranny, seems like doing a filter replacement should only be a good idea, but to each their own.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
I elected to have the dealer do it. I think they said it's about $300. A little less since I already bought the fluids and took those in.
I tried to save a few bucks by taking in the Motocraft fluid & filter that I bought on my own, but the dealer said if they use them, it would void the warranty....most likely because they would have charged me $45/qt for the fluid, $58 for the filter, and $200 for labor, so yea, ~ $300

My response: Warranty.... what friggin warranty ? It's a 2011 dummy :D

Needless to say, I went to the other dealer across town for that service, and they only charged me $120 for the labor....

Last edited:

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried to save a few bucks by taking in the Motocraft fluid & filter that I bought on my own, but the dealer said if they use them, it would void the warranty....most likely because they would have charged me $45/qt for the fluid, $58 for the filter, and $200 for labor, so yea, ~ $300

My response: Warranty.... what friggin warranty ? It's a 2011 ******* :D

Needless to say, I went to the other dealer across town for that service, and they only charged me $120 for the labor....
what's weird is the service writer said it was up to the tech if they were good using the fluids I brought in. I also took in all the fluids to do the two diff's, basically a 4Wheel service. I was going to do the diffs myself but i figured while its sitting their for 3-5 weeks, might as well let them do it. They also wanted to charge me almost $700 for spark plugs. That one floored me.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since the pan has to be dropped to change the fluid, and they'll possibly need to replace the crappy plastic one, you might get a PPE cover installed instead. Benefits include better cooling and a drain plug so you can easily do the fluid change yourself. It's something I'm planning on having done.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since the pan has to be dropped to change the fluid, and they'll possibly need to replace the crappy plastic one, you might get a PPE cover installed instead. Benefits include better cooling and a drain plug so you can easily do the fluid change yourself. It's something I'm planning on having done.

Do me a favor if you can, if you get it done, can you check the dimensions of the two pans side by side? specifically the depth, I'm curious if the PPE standard volume pan is the same depth as the OEM plastic pan. I don't have much clearance between the existing pan and my skid plates. last time i checked ppe didn't give those dimensions. I definitely can't fit the extra volume pan.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My dealer just said 6-700 to drop the pan last week when mine was in for an oil change. I told him it’s due for the trans to blow up soon anyway, so I’ll pass.

300 and I would’ve done it. I’m somewhat concerned that my fluid ran too hot for too long with the factory stat. It saw 205 most always and 215 or so towing several different trips. Now it’s 180-190. But for 700 bucks I’ll chance it.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do me a favor if you can, if you get it done, can you check the dimensions of the two pans side by side? specifically the depth, I'm curious if the PPE standard volume pan is the same depth as the OEM plastic pan. I don't have much clearance between the existing pan and my skid plates. last time i checked ppe didn't give those dimensions. I definitely can't fit the extra volume pan.
You'll have to check some of the threads or ask folks that have had it done. I had planned on doing a transmission fluid change at 50K and getting that done at the same time. That can got kicked down the road with the full transmission rebuild I had to have done recently.

ZigZagFred

Reaction score
Our second Expedition was a 2006 model with four-wheel drive. We were told we should change the transmission fluid every 50,000 miles. Newer ones are recommended at 150,000-mile intervals. The cost was $275 at a service center. They would NOT change the fluid without also changing the filter. Sorta like when we do an oil change. Would ANY of us not change the filter too?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rfbritt3