Yep, new/rebuilt tranny at 40K miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jskane125

Reaction score
So the hard bang I get intermittently when shifting Expy from park to drive was confirmed by dealer testing - and some rough transitions from 3rd to 4th gear (which I don't really notice). The dealer plans to rebuild or replace the transmission pending some additional testing. Parts are delayed for two weeks, putting a RV trip scheduled to start Aug 13 at risk.

Oddly, for the most part the transmission is fine - expect about 3 out of 10 times the bank from park to drive feels like it will pull the transmission apart.

Kind of discouraging, though at least my extended warranty (2020 Expedition) is still in place. Since that runs out in 2025, I asked if the new/rebuilt transmission will have its own extended warranty. I assume so, but will find out.

While they are going to give me a rental (they won't give a truck as a rental), I'm meeting with the dealer to discuss the possibility of them letting me use a truck on the used car lot for my 1 week trip, assuming that the parts won't get in on time. I've bought two cars there, and have had my Fords serviced there for 15 years - so I'll pull out the stops in asking for this.

After this fix I hope to get more than 40K miles out of the new transmission. Geez.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How far are you needing to tow your RV? These trans don't usually stray you, they just shift like crap. I'd run it and let them fix it after the trip unless its super far......

RocketJump

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. My 2018 with 53K occasionally has similar issues, and some of the rough shifts out of park feel like they could snap a rod. Our friend's nearly identical Expy recently had a transmission replacement due to a spontaneous failure when on the road. Their repair took over a month.

wpaul

Reaction score
I've had rough shifts as well mainly in normal mode and worse in Eco mode. I've since made a habit of always running in Tow mode and the hard shifts have went away entirely. I'm with @Deadman use it for your trip and let them fix it when you get back.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just left mine at the dealer today for tranny stuff. The reassuring part was they said they heavy tech working on tranny's won't even be able to look at it for 2 weeks they are so backed up. Luckily, I have a decent loaner but this is absurd.

Ugh_J

Reaction score
I've had rough shifts as well mainly in normal mode and worse in Eco mode. I've since made a habit of always running in Tow mode and the hard shifts have went away entirely.
This has largely been my experience, and it makes me wonder if most of the shift roughness (aside from those directly related to the bushing and case-wear issues) at least on the pre-2023 models is related to the 1-3-5 shift pattern in normal/eco modes. While tow/haul and sport might be a little firmer, going 1-2-3-4-5 does make for less of an RPM drop each shift, and under moderate to heavy acceleration it is far smoother from a stop. I really wish we had open-source PCM/TCM firmware for these things.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This has largely been my experience, and it makes me wonder if most of the shift roughness (aside from those directly related to the bushing and case-wear issues) at least on the pre-2023 models is related to the 1-3-5 shift pattern in normal/eco modes. While tow/haul and sport might be a little firmer, going 1-2-3-4-5 does make for less of an RPM drop each shift, and under moderate to heavy acceleration it is far smoother from a stop. I really wish we had open-source PCM/TCM firmware for these things.

Exactly same problem for my 2024. If I heavily brake it, it stops smooth. If I moderately or lightly brake it, it will give me a slip from gear 5 to 3 or 4 to 3. With my trailer connected and the tow mode, transmission becomes smoother.

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '19 was reflashed and then rebuilt with new style CDF drum at 42k and now it's failing again at 56k.......tech verified, reflashed again, same non-sense, it goes in for repair/replace/rebuild on Sept 3.......

OP
OP
J

Jskane125

Reaction score
Update: They told me today they replaced something, and will road test tomorrow. We shall see. The customer manager told me there is a low percentage of success within the three-four levels of fixing and testing. Short of a full rebuild. I didn't get a straight answer today on what they fixed at what stage/level. So I guess we'll see what happens.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agetech