AC freezing up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

719c6

Reaction score
Noticed the fan wasn't blowing very hard on a small trip. Even when turned up, there wasn't much air coming out. Turned it off then back on after about 20 minutes and it worked fine until it stopped. When I got home, I noticed there wasn't any water draining out when I parked it. A few minutes later it started draining. After a few hours, all was fine again so I guess it is freezing up. Read where some have turned the AC off while fan still on and that would thaw it out. Answers have been all over the place as to the issue.

Low on refrigerant or something else? Expansion valve, drier, etc? I'd just add some r1234yf but that stuff is kinda high... lol

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Noticed the fan wasn't blowing very hard on a small trip. Even when turned up, there wasn't much air coming out. Turned it off then back on after about 20 minutes and it worked fine until it stopped. When I got home, I noticed there wasn't any water draining out when I parked it. A few minutes later it started draining. After a few hours, all was fine again so I guess it is freezing up. Read where some have turned the AC off while fan still on and that would thaw it out. Answers have been all over the place as to the issue.

Low on refrigerant or something else? Expansion valve, drier, etc? I'd just add some r1234yf but that stuff is kinda high... lol

You did not post the year, make or model of your vehicle.

This TSB may apply to 2018 - 2022 Ford Expedition models: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10209031-0001.pdf

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2019 Expy Limited Stealth, the AC seems to take quite a long time to start chilling the air after a cold start when its been parked in warm weather, like mid to upper 80s. my wife was complaining, her 2016 Mercedes E350 blows chill almost immediately under similar conditions, while its 5 minutes or so of warm air before it starts chilling.

could this be another symptom of the same TSB ? I've not yet brought the car into a shop to do an AC test.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2018 Platinum Max.

Did a little reading on that TSB and it seems Ford has discontinued it, rather going with software fixes. Sound about right?

considering that replacing the evaporator is nearly 5 hours labor, which is at least $1000 around here, not surprising they want to shut that down.

I remember attempting to replace a heater core on a 80s european car, we came to the conclusion, they started with the heater core and built the whole car around it. the AC evaporator is sandwiched with said heater core in most airbox designs.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My old 03 Expedition would do the same thing, especially on very humid days. Could actually see little tiny snow flakes coming out the vent. Turn it off for 5 minutes and it would come back to normal for 30 minutes or so. I've seen them do that when the refrigerant is low.

NSRacer

Reaction score
Wife's 2018 started doing this - found a small leak which made it low on charge. Repaired that and it's been working like a champ since. Might be worth through some gauges on it to see where it's at...

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Low freon usually causes freezing. You can top it off and it will be fine, until it leaks out again. One of my vehicles had a slow leak, I used a can of stop leak refrigerant and it never leaked again. I was lucky as sometimes it works and other times it doesn't, due to a larger leak.